Thursday, July 10, 2008

My new walking skirt pattern is at the printers!


As I write, my newest pattern is at the printers!
1870 -1890
Broadway Walking Skirt

I am very pleased with the way it turned out. The only thing I would have done differerently is face the scallops, instead of hemming them. The hemmed curves simply did not come out as smoothly as I liked, even though I hemmed it by hand. Of course, my hands are old and tired, but not that bad! So I have added a facing option to the pattern, which will be faster than hemming, and almost as fast as binding the edges.

This pattern is based on a tissue pattern issued by Butterick in May, 1880. I have placed the full text of the cover sheet at the end of my instructions. The writing is tiny and blurred with a smeared stamp and age marks. The instructions assume you know exactly what you are doing, and none of the pre-cut pattern pieces are labeled.
A walking skirt is a skirt of “walking length”, which means that it does not have a train, and that it is raised above the ground – at least slightly. The distance from the ground depended on current fashion

No comments:

Post a Comment